History of the IAR on Helgoland

The IAR is the second oldest ornithological station in the world. An overview of it's history in a
time table:

1837Heinrich Gätke (1814-1897) moves to Helgoland.
1847Gätke starts keeping an ornithological journal.
1891Gätke publishes his book with the trend-setting titel „Die Vogelwarte Helgoland“.
1909Dr. Hugo Weigold (1886-1973) initiates the first Helgoland research project at the Biologische Anstalt Helgoland.
1/4/1910Dr. Weigold is officially installed as an ornithological researcher on the 1st of April. This date is now seen as the date of the initiation of the "Ornithological station Helgoland", now the Intitute of Avian Research in Wilhelmshaven.
1/4/1924Prof. Dr. Rudolf Drost (1892-1971) becomes the successor of Weigold.
10/10/1944Prof. Dr. Drost leaves Helgoland.
18/4/1945The activity of the ornithological station is stopped.
1947The Institute of Avian Research "Vogelwarte Helgoland" moves to Wilhelmshaven.
March 1953Dr. Wolfgang Jungfer (1913-1999) resumes ornithological work at the now called Island station of the Institute of Avian Research "Vogelwarte Helgoland".
1/4/1956Dr. Gottfried Vauk (1925-2015) becomes the new leader of the Island station.
1957The first research house is built on Helgoland.
1/3/1975Dr. Dieter Moritz obtains a position as the second scientist on Helgoland. This position is maintained when Dr Moritz has to resign for medical reasons in February 1996.
1988Dr. Vauk leaves the Island station.
1/7/1989Dr. Ommo Hüppop takes up leadership of the Island station.
1/03/2012Since 2012 all scientists's work places are mainly located in the main division in Wilhelmshaven, wherefrom the scientific projects at the Island station are coordinated. For that reason Dr. Hüppop moves to Wilhelmshaven, from where he continues his scientific leadership of the Island station, while Dr. Jochen Dierschke becomes the technical leader of the Island station.